What is an apprenticeship?

An apprenticeship is a paid job, with a contract of employment that offers off-the-job training. You will learn, gain work experience, and get paid at the same time! By the end of your apprenticeship you'll have the right skills and knowledge to progress in your chosen career.

You can start an apprenticeship at any time - whether you are leaving school, college or university, want a career change, or are upskilling in your current job.

You can have a previous qualification, such as a degree, an still start an apprenticeship.

Facts About Apprenticeships

Apprenticeships are generally available for anyone aged over 16. There is no longer an upper age limit however for legal reasons some roles may require an apprentice to be over the age of 18.
Apprentices will earn at least minimum wage. Apprentices are paid the National minimum wage for their age, however many employers will pay a higher wage.
Apprenticeships typically last a minimum of 12 months. Higher level apprenticeships may last up to 4 years.
Apprenticeships range from Level 2 to Level 7. This is the equivalent of a GCSE to a masters degree.
80% of an apprentices time will be spent on the job. The other 20% will be spent learning.
All apprenticeship costs are covered by either the employer or the government. An apprentice does not have to pay for their training.

Current Apprenticeships in Thurrock

loader graphic