Discover the resources available to you to improve your digital skills
Are you one of the 11 million people in the UK lacking basic digital skills? Are you unable to log in to the internet and access services? Are you lacking the digital confidence to use a computer or other devices effectively? Do you need to develop your digital skills so that you can work more effectively?
Thurrock Council are committed to tackling digital exclusion across the Borough. We believe that everyone should be able to enjoy a better quality of life and improve their wellbeing by being digitally connected. Across the Borough, Thurrock Adult Community College, Thurrock Libraries and other local community and voluntary organisations work together to offer a range of advice, support and training to help residents get online.
FREE INTERNET ACCESS
Open access computers are available at 10 venues across the Borough at your local libraries. You can also bring your own device and log on to the free public Wi-Fi at all venues.
All venues are currently subject to changes in operating hours during the pandemic and recovery period. Pre-book a time slot in advance at any library.
We Are Digital
We Are Digital (WAD) can support residents whose jobs have been affected by Covid-19 and get them back to into work, by helping them gain the right digital skills they need.
The funding is to help people get online, get equipment, get internet access, and receive remote training so that they can get the right digital skills to get back to work all FREE of charge. The programme will be delivered across East Sussex, Medway, Kent, Essex, Southend-on-Sea and Thurrock.
We Are Digital has a strong history of delivering high quality services to support people in gaining digital skills such as setting up emails and basic I.T Skills. With this funding we have an amazing opportunity to offer people with digital support to gain a variety of skills necessary to find and secure their next job.
Applicants must be referred to the programme, and information on that can be found on the sidebar. If you have more than one customer to refer to us, please click here to download our form and email it to us on [email protected]
A wide range of courses are available that are FREE to all residents
LEARN MY WAY
This website contains over 30 free courses designed to help beginners get started with basics including:
- Using your computer or device: Using a keyboard, mouse and touch screen
- Online basics - using the internet, email and completing online forms
- Office programs - creating documents and spreadsheets
- More internet skills - Video calling, online shopping and socialising online
- Online safety - Keeping your device safe, being safe online and keeping your personal data safe
- Finding a job online - job hunting online, accessing the National Careers Service website and jobs and interviews
- Improving your health online - GP services online and accessing the NHS website
- Managing your money online - online and mobile banking and make money work
- Public services online - Using public services online and claiming Universal Credit
Please note, you will need a Centre number to register for a free Learn My Way account. Contact your local library to find yours.
Essential Digital Skills Qualifications
These courses are free to all Thurrock adult residents. Go to Courses for further information.
We Are Digital Training
Training will include:
- How to find work online using job boards.
- How to create a CV online.
- How to set up and use an email account.
- How to use different social media platforms.
- How to apply for jobs and go through application processes.
- How to use different meeting / communication channel such as Teams / Zoom.
FREE equipment and internet access is available to give people who participate in the programme.
ACCESS TO EQUIPMENT
Access to low-cost computer equipment is available to all residents as part of our partnerships with the Online Centres Network. Refurbished desktop computers are available from as little as £85 and laptops from £115, plus a delivery fee. Contact your local library or Thurrock Adult Community College to find out more.
Also, if you sign up for a course at the College, we can also offer equipment loans and internet connectivity to help you access and get the most out of your adult learning (eligible rules apply).
Beginners Computer sessions
If you prefer face to face learning, Wiser4IT sessions are ideal for anyone who wants to learn how to use a computer. This 5-week FREE course is run in the libraries and is ideal for the over-50s but is open to everyone.
Digital Skills Partnership
The Digital Skills Partnership has been established across the South East in order to tackle local digital skills challenges. The DSP has a number of courses and learning resources
REFER CUSTOMERS TO THE WE ARE DIGITAL PROGRAMME
The programme operates on a referral basis. Our work within the SELEP region covers all ages, however people should only be referred if they:
- Are living in East Sussex, Essex, Kent, Medway, Southend and Thurrock
- and if they are unemployed / made redundant due to Covid-19
- Customers can contact us on 0114 551 255 or text SKILLS to 88440